Monday, April 18, 2011

Bamboozled-African Americans

Spike Lee has done a good job of showing a number of stereotypes throughout this movie. Although it was not the best movie in the world it does get its point across which is to identify stereotypes and make the viewer aware that they still do exist and many people still think that way. One thing that I found during the movie that I related with was the artwork in the "White Boss's" office and a stereotype of being married to an African American.  The boss reveals in the movie he is married to an African American woman.  His office is decorated with several pictures of black athletes along with several African artifacts and art pieces.  I relate to this because I too am married to an African American and our home is decorated with several pieces of African art and artifacts. We also have a painting of Nelson Mandela who my husband thinks is one of the greatest politicians ever. When people ask me about my husband and where he is from I always say he is from all over since he is lived in several places all over the world but always follow with letting them know his family is South African and  most of them still live there.  Many people automatically assume he is black because when most people think of Africa they picture black people.  But the truth is there are white Africans (like my husband and his family) as well.  I think that many people sometime forget about them and not only that but when they find out he is a white African they automatically think he is racist and supported the apartied, which couldn't be farther from the truth.  So in a different light he is being stereotyped with a group of people that have oppressed blacks up until 15 years ago, when in fact he idolizes Nelson Mandela who helped narrow the gap between blacks and whites in South Africa. So I understand Spike Lee's point about stereotyping African Americans yet he is leaving out another group African Americans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment