Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Killing Us Softly 4

02/20/11 WOW! I never realized how advertisements give such harsh messages and unrealistic ones too.  The Dove Evolution video was definitely eye-opening, I knew that most advertisements were retouched but I had no idea to what extent. Some of the ads that were shown in the film Killing me Softly exposed women so negatively . I'm sure that I have seen a number of these ads before but I never really payed attention to them in that way.  I guess like many others I am used to seeing these kinds of ads and don't think twice when flipping through my monthly subscription to Cosmo or any other ad I come across.
After watching this film, it reminded me about a show that I watched called "The price of beauty."  It is about Jessica Simpson and her two best friends and how they go around the world to see what other cultures consider beauty.  There are a few episodes that I  can remember that were heartbreaking where the women had gone to great lengths to alter their bodies just to try to fit the image they were exposed to as beautiful







I guess the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"  is definitely underrated when you come to think of how these advertisements are speaking to young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment